Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Homeless Coalition (a poem)

The Homeless Coalition
by Larry Adams

Homelessness, what is it I say?
Some say it's a choice
Some just live that way.

For me, homeless is guilt and shame
For when I threw out my back
It was never the same.

I lost my home
When the money ran out
And then the car just broke down.

On to the street
Hanging my head
Wake in the morning
Just wishing I was dead.

Where ever I go people look and then stare.
"I don't know him -- what do I care!"

And then one day
I heard of this place
Where people really care
You're not just a face.

I was able to shower
And eat a hot meal.
To some that's not much
To me it's a big deal.

They gave me a bed
With a roof over my head
And in the morning I ate donuts and bread.

I got new clothes to wear
And shoes on my feet.
 There were others around
Who were just like me.

I talked to my case manager
To see what I could do
They helped with housing, more clothing, and even school.

So now I ask what homelessness is?
It's millions of people and LOTS of kids.

So don't hang your head
Or hide in shame
Get a helping hand up
You'll NEVER be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment